Tuesday 14 June 2011

Mealybug??

??Mealybug


We managed to get this photo, sorry it's a bit blurry but you can get an idea of what the creature looked like.

So today we spotted this interesting little creature, it was outside, walking along a wall. We'd never seen one before, and weren't sure what it was. I can only describe it as a fluffy white woodlouse.

After a bit of googling, (oh for the power of the internet!) I think it's a mealy bug. The RHS site has some good information about mealybugs.

The only thing I'm not sure about is why it was walking about outside, everything I read seemed to suggest they are more often seen inside or in greenhouses. Although I guess it has been warm here in the UK for months now. I'm thinking there must have been some plants in the area it liked, although where we saw it, there wasn't much foliage around actually!

So what do you all think, is it a mealybug? Have you ever seen one outside before too? 

No comments:

Post a Comment